Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Seeking Decorating Advice - First the Kitchen

Paperwork is in progress for the purchase of a condo and lots of decorating and furniture buying is in our future. I am looking for blogs that are actively posting decorating ideas and fixes for decorating dilemmas. My first dilemma is going to be this kitchen. The white door belongs to the pantry (whew, I left out the R in the word pantry the first time I posted this)  and the wall beside that is the entry way from the garage and beside it is the front door (use your imagination here). In other words, the kitchen is one of the first things you see when you walk in (dining room will be to the left and living room striaght ahead. The color of the kitchen walls is really not that hideous in person, it's more green than it appears here, but I will probably paint it. I tend to like pale yellow, blues, and cinnamon. The first dilemma I see is that there is nothing above the sink. I plan to change out the countertops and flooring, and the appliances will be black  (since I just purchased those for this house, I am going to switch them out when we move). Give me your ideas!

Linking up here with Thrifty Decor Chick. Look at all these decorating ideas that are posted on her site! I may never get out of this recliner!!!

Click here for the AFTER picture on Pinterest

12 comments:

Bob S. said...

Above the sink place a Mural of a window. Replace the cabinet doors with white ones and leave the cabinets their present color.

Paint the walls with you favorite shade of yell and voila....you have a nice bright kitchen.

Kim said...

I actually love the cabinets, it's a different grain of wood than what I have now, I"ll get a close up next time we are over there. A mural is good idea, I have a friend who paints murals. Maybe the mural with some clear glass shelves in front of it and some colorful mugs/dishes there?

Kim said...

I do have a white refrigerator I could use, but my black one is the mack daddy of fridges and we love it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

If you insist on the black frige, then you must have a black microwave and black dishwasher.

You don't to look tacky.

Kim said...

Everything will be black, duh. I forgot to say that but in my mind it was clearly right there on the screen. We recently replaced the appliances here, all black, and I'll switch them out with the white ones there.

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Polly said...

check out nesting place and the inspired room, both are on my blog sidebar. Congrats on the new place!

patty said...

how about a mirror with window pains-it might look like a real window over the sink? i think changing to yellow will really add light here!! :)

Kim said...

Patty, I like your idea and the search led me to thinking about a stained glass window idea...hmmm

Jason C said...

Congrats, Kim! That "green" has to go! Sage green or pale yellow would go well with the cabinets if you plan to keep them essentially unchanged. That gap over the sink is awkward, isn't it? If you end up changing the upper cabinets, I'd definitely recommend going all the way to the ceiling for extra storage.

Can't really see the floor well, but any time you change flooring you usually make a large visual impact on the space, imho.

Whatever you do, have fun with it and update us with new pictures!

gradydoctor said...

Just saying hi to my Appalachian friend! I am zero help with your kitchen as my husband tells me that I have zero vision with home decor (other than framing pictures.) If you need ideas on the best five dollar frames from Target---I'm your gal.

:)